Jun 11, 2008

different sort of day

My quilt group met yesterday and it proved to be a different sort of day. It turned out fine but plans were changed from what I originally thought it might be. Roll with the punches.

I have the key to the Fellowship Hall and am the group leader so I always get there ahead of anyone else. First thing that I saw when I arrived was a "NO PARKING" sign? HMMM, that was a little odd, I thought, are they repaving the lot or something? I unloaded my stuff from the car, hauled in my cart but the lights were on and the door, unlocked. OH, OH. The lady in charge must have seen the perplexed look on my face---they were all set up for the ARC summer camp and what's more they will be there all through the rest of June and most of July. Obviously I did not "get the memo."

We expect that we will get bumped if the church has a function going on . No one from the church called and when the secretary saw me, she knew what I was thinking. I would have made other arrangements and called the girls ahead of time had I been given the "head's up". I didn't have that opportunity though. I didn't get mad and kept my cool, though it was a bit upsetting. The pastor apologized to me 4 or 5 times for just plain "forgetting" about us. What to do, what to do? There was a conference room and adult classroom available so we could just meet in either of those, though in a limited manner. I could get the strip plugs and table protectors if someone wanted to sew but pinning would be "out" for the day. Chris made me a sign to put on the door to let any of the arrivals know the change of location.

By that time all the school buses were coming in dropping the campers off. Two of the group members arrived looking just as perplexed as me. I got on my cell phone and started calling everyone else to give them a heads up about the parking situation and the meeting room location. There were 4 of us there by then and two more on the way in. A/C was not working. Do we stay or go? Linda C lives about 8 miles away and she promised to crank the a/c down and the fans on. I called the other two that I knew were heading in to tell them the 2nd change of plans.

So off we went. Nancy had a stop to make first so she drove on by herself but Lois and I just left our vehicles in the lot and rode with Linda as she or Nancy could bring us back in to town. Nancy had fabric and patterns to look at and ask for opinions. Most notably, an aqua hankie collection that goes perfectly with the Quest for Cure fabric for ovarian cancer. She also had her Quilt Pink quilt to show though I didn't get a picture of it---maybe the binding needed to be done first??

Linda needed some help in laying out a top that had been designed by the staff at Sew What quilt shop here in Oxford (AL)---one of those where the design is on point but it could just as easily have been a straight set. Lois had that figured out before I did---it is definitely a "fool the eye" sort of layout and no wonder Linda was having problems. By that time Aline had arrived and was helping with the block layout. We suggested at first just leaving it on a spare bed but that meant a trip up and down the stairs for us and eventually, Linda. Instead we got an old sheet and pinned the sections to it and folded it all up so she is ready to roll.

We yakked about plans for our challenge quilts, the new quilt shop and other quilty/non-quilty stuff enjoying each others company. I got the pictures of the finished donation quilts with Linda and Lois holding them off the staircase. Isn't Lois' version of "Red Velvet Cake" beautiful? Janet Worley pattern from a book but which one I don't know and I probably messed up her name--sorry about that. The other is a quilt that Aline made for a Black and White, Plus One challenge but she did not submit it for inclusion in the voting, donating it to the kids instead. It has the coolest fabric in jungle animals in black and white on the back! The other quilts can be seen HERE in the shop's gallery pages.

When it came time for lunch we rode back into the Oxford Exchange and ate at the Golden Rule (BBQ) place and capped off the day by a trip into Hobby Lobby since we had a couple of 40% off coupons that could be used. I just window shopped. On home after that a little after 2.


I did have binding to work on for my Pippi Memorial quilt along with me but didn't do one single stitch at the "meeting". Nancy took one of the others and Jane volunteered to take the others and will run by my house to pick it up. I was feeling more like hand work than stitching last night though and look who came along to "bless" it. (No, Pat--not wet on it! LOL) Way to go, Skyler--Pippi who was the world's best quilt tester would be proud of you. He was right under the desk lamp and I couldn't get the exposure right but I kind of like this sepia type tone.

And that is how the day went--next time out we are going to meet our friend Judy's house and do a potluck lunch. July? Open for discussion.

Today I plan to work on my super secret WFC (wacky fabs challenge) from purple running 8ths that Norma and Pam found on their recent rendevous visit and Joann's stop. Get that moved on a little further before my trip to IL. Sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful day-----

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the quilts...they are always so pretty. Glad the girls were able 'to go with the flow' and move the meeting around. Sounds like y'all had a good time no matter where you meet :)

    also very happy that Skylar didn't 'wet on' Pippi's Memorial Quilt...you had me a little worried with your phrasing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!