Jul 14, 2010

WIP Weds, wk # 28

Yesterday 5 of us went off to Qwiltz which has relocated from Bowdon, GA to the downtown square in Carrolton, GA. Since we are still displaced till August at our regular meeting spot, off we went on another field trip. Google said it was almost 49 miles from the spot where we congregated and piled into my car so not a bad drive.

Robbie had some fabrics marked down to 40% off plus another 10% off that as a sale special plus she had discounted patterns, books and notions as well. There are going to be some cool kids quilts made with some of that sale fabric but this is my booty. Kinda bright and wild, huh?

Well, I have been saying that I need a project or some fabric to get excited about playing with. I think that it will fill the bill. I am going to make this purse you see on the right. I don't care that the fabrics go with maybe two outfits in my wardrobe. I LIKE it, LOL. The two orange-y fabrics on the left end and the pink fats on the right end will probably not go for the purse but I purchased half yards, The purse calls for fats so I will have some leftovers to combine with those.

I may try the purse on something else first as I think I want longer straps and pockets on the inside. Till I know how the thing goes together I won't quite know where to place them in the scheme of things. It calls for a magnetic closer and I want a button and loop I think so it is just best to do a trial run.

We had lunch at a neat spot on the square in Carrolton called the Corner Cafe though there were two other places right by the shop that would have been fine as well. Robbie the shop owner recommended it as a place that had "great soup and sandwiches but funny names for them." If you check the link, you will see what I mean, LOL. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to order but made a good choice as it was yummy!

Jane had said there was supposed to be another fabric warehouse type thing in town so we asked a couple restaurant patrons if they knew where it might be. One knew the street name and the name (Fabric Peddler) and that it was "on the way out to the college". Our waitress knew what was right next door to Fabric Peddler so she gave us their business card. From that, Jane plugged the info into the portable GPS. It turned out to be about 8 blocks from where we had been. It was all decorator weight fabrics but there was a neat antique shop in the same building so we poked around in there a bit before heading back to Alabama.


This is what I have been working on intermittently the last couple days---July block from Nancy Halvorsen's Calendar Quilts and Stitcheries. Like the others that I have stitched, I re-sized the blocks so the motif will finish at about 6 x 7.5. I have been working through each color thread so it looks like body parts are next, LOL. I have some audio books downloaded from camellia.net so I'll stitch and listen while I "work"

It remains hot and humid but hey, it is summer. The clouds were really darkening up when I got from GA yesterday but it took about 45 minutes for it to actually produce a couple tenths of rain.

The half inch of rainfall that came in Monday evening just made it miserable for my Tuesday morning walk though. Swampy does not even begin to describe it. There were also tons of gnats out in about 5 spots around the track. It was just dark enough at 5:40 in the morning that I didn't see one swarm and walked right into them. UGH! I was wet with sweat everywhere that I could possibly seep fluid but still couldn't cool off. I checked on the computer when I got home to find that readings of 94% humidity, temp of 72 and dew point of 70%. That might explain it. Thankfully, today the humidity was must have been down to something a bit more reasonable as it was not near as bad. I'll be bumping up another lap from 2.24 miles to 2.52 in about another week's time. Trust me, that would be hard to do if all days were like Tuesday morning.

Hope all is well with you. Thanks for stopping by-----

2 comments:

  1. Road trips with friends are always fun. When you find good stuff and a nice place to eat it's a bonus. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to love a road trip that involves stopping at a quilt shop! ....even more fun if you are with friends! I love the bright fabrics you picked up....and of course another purse/bag pattern is always fun! Our weather has been more summer like lately in temperature--thankfully, we don't have the added high humidity that you are trying to contend with. You are right on track with the stitchery blocks--working on the July block in the month of July! LOL I am way behind in those blocks so perhaps my endeavor will become a multi-year attempt at a BOM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!