Jun 13, 2011

checking in

Deb had commented about the recently finished up sewing machine cover I showed her on the blog. I told her that she could have the pattern if she wished as I am done with it. We ended up working out a swap. I suggested that a couple of 30's fats would be good but only if she insisted on doing something in return for the pattern. I think she outdid herself! Thanks again, Deb!

Shown with it is the set aside Two of Kind/Cheap Trick quilt. The top is roughly half done at this point. SIGH. Maybe some new to me fabrics will help push it forward??

I still don't really feel like sewing but I am tired of looking at the little piles of stuff in this room. It seems like it is mocking me and making me feel guilty for NOT sewing and worse, wasting time doing a whole lot of nothing important. Maybe it is this prolonged heat----zero ambition.

Shown at right is the program materials from the Friendship Quilter's group this past Saturday. They were showing us how to make a hexagon shape from a circle using a wide mouth canning lid as a template. Apparently some ladies in an area quilt group (area being St. Clair County, AL and surrounding counties) use this method when asked to make some Grandmother's Flower Garden shapes. It makes sense as you can draw a hexagon from a circle easily enough. HERE is one such tutorial--you just need a compass and a ruler to connect the dots and you can draw them up any size that will fit your paper.The technique, more or less, makes like a lining to the hex itself. No papers to remove and no basting required. You still have to whip them together or blind hem or whatever.

Well, I failed miserably on the completion part as you can see. It sort of looks hexagon-like but it is not done. Actually I was too busy passing out needles and thread to share with some of the 5 ladies in my seat row and then helping to thread said needle in one instance---not that my eyes are any better than hers at this point. Readers have become my friend this year. Anyway, I got two of the folds in and stitched but no further----they moved on without me. I think I just need to play with it a bit. Of course the over achievers got the whole floret done.

Skyler woke me at 0445 today---bad kitty! I did not get back to sleep and by 0600 I bailed. I had things to do in the kitchen this morning anyway. I just got an earlier start than I originally planned. With this continued 90's weather I am definitely not in the mood to turn on the oven anymore than necessary. I got a recipe for a layered ground beef, potato and vegetables in the crockpot for our lunch---we called something like this "Shipwreck". I also finished prepping and Oriental Spiral Chicken Salad since the Belles have a potluck tomorrow. I had cooked the chicken yesterday so it would chilled enough to cube up. I'll share that recipe with you in a minute. Also did up a batch of marinated vegetables to go with some quesadillas for supper though I went with a sort of Mexican type vegetables this time out and prepped the stuff I need for tonight's meal while I was at it. Counting cleanup details and breakfast, I was in the kitchen for about 2 1/2 hours and getting hotter by the minute. Dealing with a load of laundry and unloading the dishwasher didn't help the overheating thing either. A/c went on just before lunch and a shower sure helped!

Oriental Spiral Chicken Salad
Great in the summer heat!

Recipe By : unknown---possibly clipped from The Pantagraph or woman's magazine
Serving Size : 8-10 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Main dishes Salad
Side dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 12 oz. package spiral noodles, cooked al dente
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/3 cup salad oil -- divided use
1/3 cup lower sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (I usually use seasoned rice wine vinegar)
1/4 cup sugar or equal amount of sweetener like Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley but rehydrated dry works fine too
8 cups lightly packed torn spinach, well drained and dried

To make the dressing: in a small pan, combine the sesame seeds and a tablespoon or two of the salad oill, stirring constantly over medium-low hearuntil the seeds are golden, about 1-2 minute. Don't get the heat too hot or they will burn or hop out of the pan---ask me how I know this! Cool and then stir in remaining 4-5 tablespoons of oil (to equal 1/3 cup total for recipe), soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions-about 6-8 minutes for al dente. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Pour dressing mixture over the pasta. Add cooked chicken and toss gently until well coated. Cover and chill thoroughly at least 2 hours.

Just before serving, add in the parsley, green onions and spinach. Toss lightly. Enjoy!

Now, I am going to go cut or sew something, anything!

2 comments:

  1. I always watch with great admiration as lots of talented women in blog land seem make piles of hexies lately. I'm just too lazy to try. Love the look of them, but think they would test my patience beyond what I can reasonably endure!

    Your pasta salad sounds wonderful for summer. Thanks for sharing that one. I've never thought to add spinach to my pasta before. Bet that's quite tasty! This is one I'm going to try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You scored some nice fabrics in trade for the pattern! Like you said, the infusion of some new fabrics to the project may help with the overall moving of that one forward. Although I understand where you are coming from. I have not sewn in so long, I am not sure my machine will recognize me when I decide to do some stitching! LOL

    We had the furnace on here for a bit today to take the chill off the air--send us some of your heat, will you please?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!