Apr 10, 2014

what a day!

I started out the day determined to finish up with the state tax forms after working through all the medical/dental bill stuff to itemize those deductions until almost 9 last night. Even Skyler was getting tired of that routine and just wanting a cuddle. When I finally flopped on the bed on my belly with the cell phone in hand, he was trying terribly hard to get me to roll to my side. He wanted me to lay down next to me and I just was NOT getting the message at first! The circling and head butting finally convinced me.

I just now finished with the filing, ready to mail it out in the morning. I kept on goofing up the forms when I was trying to copy the data over. Then I started doubting my math.  On  re-examination I decided that "yes, my taxable income was minus 300 some dollars". I could have done fillable forms but there was just too much stuff to add on and write in.  You know how stinky java script can be sometimes! At least this year I did not start printing several copies and then find that page 2 was upside down. Then when you try to reprint said java script  would make me start all over on the fillable part. GRRRRRR.

About 9 this morning I got a phone call from one of the quilting pals.  I expected the call as I had offered to print off some foundation sections for a block she is working on with small flying geese and a square in a square center.    That's it below, called "Illinois" block.  (The JOY Quilt Guild is working out of the Eleanor Burns' Pioneer Sampler book with a series of classes and a chance for the more seasoned quilters to mentor the beginning or less confident ones.)  We had discussed this at Belles on Tuesday. Donna said it would Thursday morning before she could get over and we did not set up a time then.

 At the meeting we had talked about her attempts to use the Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler---she had not offset the centers enough and was going to try it again since the ruler will be needed on other blocks in the book.  Turns out she was using the smaller ruler that makes 1 x 3 or 3 x 6 geese sections.  I was like, wait a minute!  Take a look at the block that is supposed to finish at 12 inches.  The math is off.



Basically it is a souped up 9 patch or a 3 x 3 grid.  That means that each section of a 12 inch block should measure 4 inches when sewn into the block.  She needed the ruler that has 2 x 4 inch geese in combination with the 4 x 8 one.  I found a duplicate ruler in my quilt supplies so was happy for that to find a new home with Donna!

While I was waiting for her to come, I was outside looking for the expectant neighborhood calico cat to come on over for breakfast.  No sign of her at that point but I had a suspicion she was hanging around up at Glynda and Robert's since that is where I normally see her come from.   Lately when she sees me come out the door, she comes running.  Occasionally I have to call "kitty, kitty" but then Skyler comes running too, LOL.  I heard Glynda hollering at one of the dogs, a lot of barking and one of them in distress.  She turned the hose on them, got Robert to come help.  I'll get back to that in just a minute but Oscar was really in the dog house!

In the meantime I started up the road because I needed Robert to help me with a problem I had with the front door when he had time.  He was just getting into his truck so I flagged him down as he got to my driveway and explained the situation.  I had gone in through the front door yesterday using the key on both the deadbolt lock and the regular lock.  Something happened that evening that deadbolt would not line up and the bottom lock seemed to be jammed.  I could not get the door open from inside the house--at all.  What's more, I didn't know if it was locked or not.  Since the storm door was snap locked inside, I could not try keying it from the outside without causing possible damage to the storm door.  He got it popped up from inside with a screw driver. If it does it again, I will know what to try first before I panic.   A little WD-40 all around and I am back in business.  I had visions of having to replace the locks, the door and whatever.  Easy fix, great!

 He said he was off to get some work boots.  I asked what size, same as DJ it turned out, so it was worth looking to see if he had any out in the shed.  I had given away any shoes he had to the Baptist Service Center last month so I knew there was none in the house.  No work boots outside but he could use the overboots and galoshes in his concrete work.  There was also a metal cutter of some sort that I passed on.  We discussed a few other yard work issues and he went on his merry way with my thanks.

Donna came over and while we were talking quilt in my sewing/computer room she asked me who had put in my laminate flooring.  Robert, I said and you can ask him if he would be interested.  Here is his number.  By that time he had returned from his errand and was out unloading his stuff from the vehicle.  I called him over so they could discuss what she needed etc.

Robert asked if I wanted a dog for backyard protection.  Turns out Oscar had attacked the younger of the three dachshunds for the 2nd time in as many days.  They were going to have to find him a new home or take him to the pound.  If he did not do well in his own backyard with 4 other little dogs, then he would not do well at the pound.  Glynda said it was like a case of two against 1 and he was the odd dog out.  So I inherited a dog but he has to stay outside for now.  Robert brought over his dog house and filled in a spot near the gate that he could have gotten out perhaps.  (We have a fenced in back yard.)   I put a rug and blanket in the bottom of the dog house and drug out the water bowl we had gotten when some strays adopted us temporarily.  What does he eat and how much?  I went off to get the food, a collar and leash.  We'll see how it goes.  I mean, I like dogs and all but I am more a cat person.

But how can you resist this sweet little face?   He has yet to bark at me but I did hear him this afternoon.  He has a sweet deposition.  Already got some doggy kisses.  He and Skyler met through the front door when I was walking him around the yard on the leash.  No snarly or hissing ensued.








While I was out in the back yard,  Skyler was overseeing the proceedings.  I could hear him in the house meowing and crying like he does when he knows I am outside.



And, the oldest of the three azaleas is in bloom.  I spotted the lilac first from the kitchen window yesterday.  Little did I know but the azalea was also flowering.  It got a bit cool like in the upper 30s last night so I hope the plants are okay.  I cannot see the azalea from the house as the big old gardenia bush blocks it from view.  That bush looks dead but it is a bit early for it.  If it is gone, then Robert will get it yanked up like he did with one of the ones in the side yard.  Parts of the lilac might have to be trimmed out a bit too.




DJ had babied this lilac for years, supplementing the soil as they are not native to Alabama.  All I could think of yesterday when I first saw it is how excited he would be to see it come to life.  The azalea too.  He might have hated it when I called him Farmer Alfalfa but he did enjoy tending his plants, watering them daily.  Much better green thumb than I have.  I might have said something about the hanging plant in the kitchen will be lucky to survive my lack of attention and he has had that thing since the early 80's.  LOL, he would be amazed to see me pulling weeds out of his rock garden area in front as I never did any of that to help him.  He was the outside guy.

Well, I need to go see if Miss Calico is ready for supper.  Maybe walk Oscar again, make sure he didn't dump over his water or something.  Skyler is stretched out on the bed as he got too hot in his window seat.

Tomorrow I AM going to sew on that quilt kit.  I deserve to do something fun, just for me, after all that tax mess.  Sheesh.   I'll probably post again tomorrow as Belles did meet on Tuesday and Lois had some quilts to turn in.  Always fun to share those!


2 comments:

  1. wow another busy day! you amaze me at all you do. and a cute little dog too, he will be good for getting out and going for walks. so glad you have neighbors close by that help out, it really makes a difference not being so isolated. now taxes done, time to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oscar is definitely a cutie, I like the one where he is by the fence and looking at you sideways "are you looking at me?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!