Oct 14, 2015

cooking and sewing

There has been some progress on the Quatrefoil quilt front.  Hooray for me! I have been trying to carve out a little sewing time each day if the weather will permit Oscar logging a bit of outside time.

The first block took me WAY too long.  Where the 4 patch meets the pointy pieces---at 8 points---it can be just a little bit tricky.  I know, I know she just whips right along in the video with little worry about lining up.  I couldn't be so lucky, LOL.  For one thing the seam line where you line up is at a 45 degree angle so you have to either mark where the 1/4 inch point is on both pieces and try to offset it somehow.  The first block required a bit of un-sewing till I figured about how to line it up better.  The next two blocks took about the same amount of time as the first one did!  Good thing too or I was going to be looking at 22 hours time to get the stinkin' top done!  I have a hard enough time carving out a couple of hours worth.

The picture shows the top at the half way point as it will be a 3 x 4 block set.   I finished up block 6, sashed it, joined it to row two and then joined the two completed rows today.  I also pieced Block 1, Row 3 before I called it quits for the day.

Yesterday was our Bama Belles meeting and I had taken my machine in hopes of sewing there.  I was just getting ready to join the block rows when Lois came with two tops to pin.  Jane was right behind her so we worked together to get the tops taken care of.  (Just the 3 of us---it is fall school break week and one was watching her grandkids, another couple are out of town, another has therapy, no doubt someone else is not feeling well, so they all have their reasons for not coming).   I had intended to stay and get back to work till it was time to break for lunch but the machine started acting up.  I suspected it needed to be cleaned up and needle changed etc though I had just changed the bobbin and that could have the culprit as well.  Thankfully, just doing the simple things got me back on track, unlike the Jem--never did get the tension set right.

I had spent the morning "binge" cooking again.  Scalloped Potatoes--I like the one in my Betty Crocker New Cookbook copyright 1996.  Not so new but a tried and true recipe at my house! I also made some Company Ham Loaves since I had unearthed the leftover quarter Easter Ham the other day.  My mom's recipe, I think, or one she submitted to a quilting cookbook.  No eggs or breading and then that brown sugar-vinegar-tomato soup topping but it calls for mixing the ground ham with ground beef.  Some recipes call for ground pork.  I had gotten a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid some time back so here was another chance to use it.  Plenty of leftovers for the freezer.  I also made another half batch of Baked Oatmeal but used a can of crushed pineapple rather than the dried cranberries it calls for.  I had done that recently with some leftover pineapple and liked it--and then reheating it, put a bit of almond milk on it.  Actually I just put some more pineapple juice it it this time as I had used up every bit of milk I had on hand making the Scalloped Potatoes.  I had to use evaporated milk in the ham loaves but mistakenly tossed what was left.  Oh well!  I see a stop at the store for milk anyway after I walk tomorrow.

 Last thing I tried was Pumpkin Dump Cake  AKA Pumpkin Crack.  I had all the ingredients on hand and wanted to try it.  BUT I did not like the outcome and tossed it.  It tasted kinda bland and had an odd texture like pudding.  I didn't care for cake mix taste.  You would think that something with sweetened condensed milk and all that butter would be more delectable tasting.  If I am going to waste some calories I want it to be one something luscious, not just okay.

Then there is the name---annoying.  Crack?? Are you kidding me?  Since when did "crack" and "hack" become  GOOD words or descriptors?   Those two terms are everywhere, like sriracha or chipotle and now they are over-doing anything pumpkin too.  Now this one I might try  Pumpkin Poke Cake from Favorite Family Recipes.  Maybe baking the cake instead of dumping the cake mix on top and/or swirling it in it would work better?  Or forget the pumpkin and just make one of those German Chocolate Caramel Poke cakes and use that new caramel sweetened condensed milk??

I don't know that there is much of anything else going around here.  Family concerns do continue.  My little great-nephew Wyatt has reached the 3 month mark and is nearing the 6 lb mark.  He is still facing multiple surgeries and prolonged hospitalizations in Neonatal Unit if that happens.  Our little warrior and his young parents are still in need of prayers.  Great nieces Lily (15 months) and Lydia (6 months) are thriving but Lily will be having more surgery near years end.  I don't know if I am allowed to share pictures so won't risk upsetting their parents by doing so without express permission.

I'm going to go plop on the couch and put my feet up.  Oscar is laying in the doorway to the living room waiting for me.  Skyler gave up on the open window when I quit sewing and is napping up high.  At least they are not snapping, snarling anf meowing at each other that way.

THX for stopping by and I hope you are enoying the beautiful fall weather we had today where you live.  No way would I have been cooking if it had not hit low 50's and 70 degrees in the house overmight!!


5 comments:

  1. You had me chasing a squirrel. Ha ha. I went to watch Jenny make the Quatrefoil block. She did sew it fast but I saw she was a bit picky about lining those seams up. And this was not her first rodeo - she has done this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading how tricky it is to match the pointy part to the 4-patch - I'm thinking it might be easier for me to make the pointy patch as a rectangle and a goose unit. It might be a bit more work - two rectangle patches instead of just dog-earing a square - but it would give me a seam to help match that point - does that make sense? - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is good to see you sewing again! and I love the blocks, you did a great job. and once again you are making me hungry with all your cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have inspired me Linda! I am sewing instead of being sleepless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your quilt is looking so far! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!