Dec 14, 2015

what a weekend!


What a weekend! Most of the time there is not a lot going on around here, the usual home chores that make up anyone's daily life.  Yada, yada, yada.  Not this weekend with all the holiday happenings.


Saturday, Friendship Quilters had their luncheon/ short business meeting at the Magnolia Cafe in Lincoln (AL).  Funny thing happened come serving time.  We had all ordered off the menu and I had requested Chicken Parmigiana.  Everybody but me had been served but it turned out my friend Beth forgot what she had ordered and got MY plate.  All that was left was a dish of unclaimed Chicken Eggplant Parmigiana.  I like eggplant so took it.  Beth was embarrassed about it but it was fine.  The portions were large so I had the rest of for lunch yesterday.

The picture shows a machine embroidered ornament that Shelia made.   There were several designs, some were ornaments or other holiday motifs but this was the one in the card she gave me.  The pattern was from the club president who unfortunately could not be with us.  There was a gift bag filled with patterns and this is the one I pulled.  "Piece of Cake" from Thimble Blossoms.  This might give me another idea of what I could do with a "Silk Road" from Bernatex layer cake I got with Christmas money several years back---if I can find something to use for a border, that is.  It is quite elegant looking fabric so deserves a more sophisticated use.   If you want to see how someone used the line, check out her fall quilt made with it HERE.

Jane, Aline and I had a couple hours break and then Saturday evening were off to the Oxford Performing Arts Center for Christmas on Ivory.  Jane's husband Hugh went with us.  Marilyn was supposed to go too but was not feeling well.

They have apparently done this concert at various area churches since 1996.  I loved this!!  There were 3 grand pianos and 6 pianists along with a percussionist.  Two of the women were part of the original group of musicians.  Two were a mother and daughter team, the daughter is 17 yrs old and coincidentally, the daughter and granddaughter of friends of Jane and Hugh.  Another was a daughter of a friend of Aline's from her church.  Some numbers all six were playing, others three pianists.  A couple of selections had vocalists (Let it Go from Frozen and Chestnuts Roasting) and a young violinist (7 or 8 yrs old maybe?) played part of Silent Night quite beautifully in a medley of songs.   It was a good mix of secular and religious holiday music, even some classical music in "Trepak" from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.  Hallelujah Chorus was quite moving but they also jammed out Mannheim Steamroller style with Chip Davis' arrangment of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".  I've got about 5 tapes/CD of Mannheim Steamroller so recognized that right off!  Need to get those out to enjoy.  I'm still whistling "Hark, the Herald Angels" days later, LOL.

Yesterday Aline, Jane, a friend of Aline's and I were off to the CAST play "Every Christmas Story Ever Told (and then some!)"    and they do!

Instead of performing Charles Dickens' beloved holiday classic for the umpteenth time, three actors decide to perform every Christmas story ever told -- plus Christmas traditions from around the world, seasonal icons from ancient times to topical pop-culture, and every carol ever sung. A madcap romp through the holiday season!
The Classic "Christmas Carol"sort of morphs into "It's a Wonderful Life". "The Grinch Stole Christmas" and the "Gift of the Magi" are involved.  The Macy's Thanksgiving parade also figures in as well as a variation of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" (they don't have the copyright so it becomes Gustav, the Green Nosed Reingoat").  Funny and entertaining!  Glad we all got to go.

We were under a wind advisory last night and some possible storms were due to pass through during the night.  The critters and I  must have slept through it.  Other than the garbage can sitting a bit cockeyed and the usual twigs down from the dying trees across the lane it looks like the shingles stayed on the roof.  DJ would always do around the house to look after something like our forecast.  Only a half inch of rain in the gauge.  Still, it is too warm for December and you worry about tornadic activity.   It was sprinkling when Oscar and I were out earlier but has cleared up nicely---high 60's and sunny if a bit gusty at times.

I'm trying to work up some enthusiasm for dusting and vacuuming.  So far it is NOT happening, LOL.  Little got done around here with that upper respiratory deal.  I'm still dealing with the sinuses dripping but otherwise okay.  Yesterday I managed to clean up some suspect carpet spots but no sooner did I think I was done but Skyler lost her breakfast in 4 different spots.  UGH!  How could I live without Resolve Carpet Cleaner around here?  I do need to find a decent sponge mop though.  The head keeps coming off the stick on the one I got.

And just because this guy is so darned cute, here is Oscar.  He threw his pad on the clean couch pad on the floor and proceeded to play and nap there the other day.  Whatever!  We should go walk.



Hope you have a good day.  THX for stopping by------

3 comments:

  1. wow you have been busy! it all comes at once, then nothing for a long time, right? Glad you are feeling better and getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mannheim Steamroller!! I only have one of their CD's and I love to sing along with them when I play it. It looks like we are going to have a green Xmas up here and I'm not complaining. I told my friend I think someone upstairs is looking after me this year by not sending us any snow and I thank her/him for it. If I don't get a chance Merry Christmas Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Christmas music has a way of lifting your spirits! The machine embroidered ornament give me ideas...hmmm. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!